A bit of a lie in

Wretched cats woke me at six, and I despised them for it. Back to bed after feeding them, feeling exhausted, and slept till 11. Lovely Lorraine bringing me breakfast in bed, including lots of fried tomatoes I had pilfered from Janet's garden yesterday. A bit of home lurking, and discussing what would happen to the Spare 'Oom, when we turn in into a wee workshop, and measuring walls and so on. I also called First Matie for a chat, which was nice as we hadn't spoken for ages. She has just installed a wood burner.

Then off to Janet and Ken's and spent several hours there this afternoon and evening. I felt like I had hit a wall this morning, feeling tired and feeble, however, I snapped out of it when I arrived at Janet's house, which was thronging when Lorraine and I arrived. Rod, Ken's son, and Clare his wife, as well as Georgie and Madeline. Hus turned up shortly after us. Lorraine Hus and I had a long chat with Rod and Clare, to discuss what will happen to Ken, once Janet goes.

Then Hus left and Lorraine left to sit with Ken, and Rod, Clare and I were continuing to talk. While she was doing so Ken asked her directly if Janet was dying, and Lorraine told him she was. On some levels he has processed what has gone on around him. Poor Ken, when I sit with him and he is singing, and sometimes when we are chatting it is like talking to him in the old days, till he asks you the question he just asked you thirty seconds ago.

Janet now has a pump, which means anti-emetics and pain killers can be administered easily.

Having handed over to the lovely Kim and Heather again, we came home again.

Lorraine got the oven on,  and she cooked a kind of eccles cakes (personal favourites of mine) which were not quite eccles cakes so we rebranded them Kenny Cakes, and a shepherd's pie, and some of her special seedy bread. Something about being with Lorraine in the kitchen and watching her do things is extremely comforting, because she really likes baking. We had a glass of wine and watched a TV programme about an indigenous Australian detective called Mystery Road which was unusual and different, and featuring the outback landscape. This is what I watch TV for: glimpses into other worlds. There seems to be an abundance of good TV at present.

Comments