Gold Sofa day

Lorraine ill with a cough, little voice and generally ill.  She however insisted on driving me to the hospice were she dozed in the carpark, and spoke to Maureen on the phone. She didn't go in, not wanting to infect people. Ken, Hus and Caroline there already. Caroline sitting outside the ward had asked to speak to the nurse to find out what the estimate of how long Janet might have is. The nurse said she could not say, but comforted Caroline who got upset about the situation.

I had a chat with Caroline and Hus and a cup of coffee outside in the sun, while Janet was having some care.  I went in to check on Ken and he had been curtained out of Janet's bed while she was having some treatment, so I wheeled him outside to join them.

I popped in later, and found Janet on her own. So that's an enema, she said with a grim smile. We chatted for a bit, she is perfectly able to talk and answer perfectly cogently, as long as people speak loud enough. She is always on the brink of falling asleep however, and is quickly tired. But she has been letting people know when they need to leave so that she has some for everyone.  Ken very touching with her, and telling her he loved her.

Janet is comfortable and not in pain, and is seeing lots of the people who are close to her.  She does not seem afraid any more either, which is perhaps the best of it.

Lorraine drove us home, and headed for the gold sofa, and I looked after her and cooked and bought her a bar of chocolate and so on.  The truth is today was just what I needed, not having to do anything and just being with Lorraine and sit on the gold sofa.  I spoke to Toby this evening and Lorraine and I watched Mystery Road, set in the outback of Australia before bed.

Comments