The slog ends and an evening with Ken

Another terrible night's sleep, and Lorraine with a cough and cold. All kinds of bad dreams, one involving my shadow, a disgusting version of myself. Another recent dream was being in a plane that because it was not able to fly high enough was skimming the rooftops near the Fulham Palace Road and was about to crash into the agency I once worked at near there.

Up and slogging this morning first thing, but at least I had only one job to get done. Worked at this all day almost unrelentingly, till it was sent off late in the afternoon to mes amis in Paris. So the slog, temporarily, ends and I can focus on getting the Janet and Ken situation better managed.

A sigh of relief, then I walked to Hove, albeit rather slowly as I have had one of those exhausting sore throats all week, and went to sit with Ken. Reem was there, making me laugh being entirely natural with Ken, and a carer who had dropped in.

Reem and the carer left and I sat with Ken and we had over one hundred identical conversations along the lines of 'where's Janet? In the other room?' No Ken she's in hospital. 'Hospital? Oh dear, is she all right?' No Ken she's ill. 'What is wrong with her,' She has cancer Ken. 'Poor Janet.' 'Is she going die?' Yes I'm afraid she probably will.' Poor Janet I love her so very much, you know.' The good news is Ken, that Caroline is coming tomorrow, and you'll get to see Janet tomorrow too. That's something to look forward to isn't it? 'Yes it is.' That'll be nice Ken, won't it. 'Yes that will be great.' Two beats. 'So where's Janet?' Reem had put on a YouTube of the three tenors singing arias, and I'm afraid sitting there in the half light, with the mostly blind Ken, I was in tears for quite a while as we went endlessly through this routine.  We went into the back room and I found a bottle of Noilly Prat vermouth, and we had a glass each of that, and Ken smoked and worried, and occasionally said things like, 'it's only now we're talking that I think she won't come back. What will happen to me?' I tried to reassure him as best I could.

Eventually the carer called around and got him changed. And he decided he wanted to go straight to bed at around eight. The night sitter would be around at ten so I stayed put, but Hus called and came around with his new girlfriend, Kata from Hungary and a smart woman. Anyway it was nice to have a glass of wine with them, as Hus and I have barely had time for a time out over the last few weeks.

A bus home, and I watched an episode of family guy and ate some toast and went to bed to my sore throaty, lost voiced Lorraine.



Comments