Work and the hospice

Some of the pressure lifted today. I handed over the last bits of the job for my Paddington friends, who have been kind and understanding. This means that the impossible job of finishing both the Paddington work and the French work by Friday became possible. So after handing over, I spent the rest of the day slogging on the French work, by the end of the day I felt like the deadline tomorrow is now just meetable.

In the morning the plumbers came around too and looked at the job, dropped off his invoice finally, and looked at our downstairs loo.

I was surprised by Ken's son and his wife had to return home to the midlands today, leaving everyone scrabbling around to look after Ken. I said I'd sit with him tomorrow night.

After pilates, an under the weather Lorraine drove us off to Martlets to see Janet. 

Janet is on her own in a bare but pleasant room. She was too tired to talk much, so I just sat there holding her hand for ten minutes while she slept, Lorraine holding my other hand from time to time. When it was clear Janet just wanted to rest, we left her. I found seeing her in a separate room in the hospice looking noticeably frailer than when I'd last seen her  tough. Now I'm feeling some of the emotion that has been blocked by having to be relentlessly practical. 

Lorraine drove us home and a light snack, then a bit of mindless TV and bed.

Comments