Ken's 85th birthday

A grim hosing it down sort of day, with lots of wind. I heard the door click at stupid o'clock and Giannis was gone. Lorraine and I luxuriating in a slow start, even having some breakfast in bed before forging out into the world. Went to a speciality cheese shop in Hove to buy some for Ken's birthday, and I made the mistake of asking if they had any French cheese. Pretty much nothing but and the man showed Lorraine and I about fifty types.

To Ken and Janet's place in the pouring rain from Hove. A nice party, with Ken who'd not been feeling too well earlier, rallying marvellously and coming downstairs and having a bit of wine and chatting to everyone. Janet having a bit of a fraught time organising things, but the afternoon was a great success. He sat regally in his dressing gown receiving gifts and greetings, and even burst into song on occasion.

A lovely spread of food and nice wine, and I saw lots of people I'd not seen in some time, such as Hus, Cesare, Ros and an old friend of Janet's called Anne and Ken's sons Rod and Nick, and Remo who'd done some work on my house in the Twitten after I was burgled. Remo told me how he got a nasty scar on his face which just missed his mouth last year, when a spray can he was using at work under some stairs exploded and the metal lacerated him. An inch or two different and it would have cut his throat. He needed 200 stitches in his face. Remo's daughters are studying Ninja skills, which was quite surprising. He has a lovely family.

A jolly afternoon in which I drank a decent amount of wine, and Lorraine and I left after fond farewells with Janet and Ken and their guests, stepping out into a wild night and spending the rest of the evening quietly on the sofa, watching a children 's movie called Inside Out with Beth. This reasonably enjoyable, and was first mentioned to me by Glenice. Then I watched Match of the Day and kept half an eye on Lorraine for whom football is a natural sedative, before bedtime.

A few snaps taken at Ken's party. Ken and his son Rod; Cesare, Ken and Hus; Ken's son Nick giving Ken his cake, Bryn, Ken and myself as Ken has a crafty cigarette, a blurry Ken in his living room.





Comments