Working on the hoof

Rain. Off to Strand on the Green early this morning to see Lucinda my dentist. The transport system apparently taken aback by the wholly unexpected event of Autumn and I missed my appointment. Sat working in the waiting room for an hour or so till they could squeeze me in. Naturally this morning, the pea-like lymph node and the throbbing in my gums had both vanished. They took the precaution of an x-ray, and Lucinda my dentist showed me the wide grin of my entire set of gnashers. No problems, luckily. She asked me if I had sinus infection, which I have had, so this might explain it. The head is a strange old lump. Slunk away lighter of wallet and slightly sheepishly. Lucinda has been doing the Kenny Hampsteads for decades and is a far cry from the butchers of my teens. I haven't needed a new filling for thirty years.

Dreary rain. Train cancelled at Kew Bridge and a lengthy journey home. Worked on the train and made off to Starbucks to finish it and send the thing off. As soon as I did this Matt called with more work. Determined to catch up with Rosie, however, who is taking a few weeks off. Went to another cafe in Hove to work till she came. Nice to hang out with Rosie for an hour, and discuss the meaning of life and the attractions of wild swimming. Rosie showed me a picture of a man in a stream with snow all around. Madness.

Bussed it home, and finished my bits of work and suggested to my lovely wife that we go out to the Preston Park Tavern for a bite to eat and a pint of ale. This we accomplished easily, and were home again by half eight. We went up to the top of the house and opened up the doors to the Juliette balcony in the fine rain, and leant out looking at the fireworks exploding blurrily in the murk of rain and low cloud.

Watched a thriller on TV, and then listened to music on our smart new sound system, which sounds fab and you just beam your laptop or phone at it to play tunes. Couple it with Spotify and you have all the records in the world. Rather amazing.

Comments