Champions

Still feeling off colour, which culminated in a vile headache by the end of the day. Lorraine hard at work on preparing for her forthcoming two day interview as potential head teacher for a nearby school. I worked on The New Idea for a while, and touched up some bits with a thin brush of the painting I had been doing in the bedroom.  Downloaded Miserere by Gregorio Allegri, which I am finding spine tingling. Lorraine and I went out, but only as far as the nearby shops including a greengrocer's where I seized a couple of garlic bulbs so as to leer at Lorraine with garlic bulb eyes. Unfortunately one still had a robust stalk, which almost took my eye out.  Imagine trying to explain that at the hospital.

Maureen had send clippings from local papers about Ken, Derek and Lorraine's sport stories from when they were young. They were a very sporty family, and there were two shots of a willowy Lorraine in two netball teams.

The evening was given over to Chelsea football club. They were playing the European Champion's league cup final against Bayern Munich. By chance the pre-selected venue for the final had been Munich, and so Chelsea were playing in Bayern's home ground. At the end of February Chelsea were having their worst season for a decade, and the so called 'old guard' of their players written off. Since then, and the sacking of their unpopular manager, Chelsea have gone from strength to strength. I won't go into all the details here, but their victory tonight was astonishing, and made me feel very happy, although my celebrations were comparatively subdued due to the vice-like headache. As I get older the charged meaninglessness of football becomes increasingly fascinating. Strange how Chelsea's victory can make me feel a personal glow of happiness, although all I did was watch them from the comfort of the gold sofa.

Below Didier Drogba, Chelsea's imperious, intelligent and sensitive centre forward, says goodbye to Chelsea fans in what may be his last game for the club, after scoring a late equaliser, and the final penalty that saw a frankly unbelievable Chelsea victory. Also Lorraine at 11 as Joseph in a Sunday school Nativity, sporting headgear Pat had brought back from the Middle East.



Comments