Lorraine has a job

Cold night. Frost on the rooftops. Woke up to a text from Lorraine saying she is so anxious she feels sick. Poor thing had a hideous day, as they announced the new slimmed down structure of the local authority education department, but ended up with a job -- one different to that which she applied, a process which necessitated a further telephone interview this morning. She is hugely relieved, especially as the new job has a data and maths element in it which plays to some of her numerous her strengths, so the whole thing may have a large silver lining.

As for myself, a very contrasting day of idle foppery. I worked this morning, including a poem for Ken's 80th this Saturday, and then after a walk about town, read Maus, by Art Spiegelman in one large sitting. I'd been meaning to read this for ages, and found it simply the best graphic novel I have read. Essential reading for any sentient entity.

Lorraine stayed with me tonight, and indulged in a spot of casual surgery. I have had a skin tag on my arm for about 15 years and this week, being a quiet one, I decided to ask Lorraine to tie a piece of cotton around it on Sunday. By today it had started to throb occasionally, and swell up. Naturally I had visions of it infecting my arm, and ending up with gangrene and an amputation. I got her to simply cut it off with a pair of boiled scissors, which she did without batting an eyelid. I was preparing for all kinds of theatrical hemorrhaging, but in the event it barely hurt and there was no bleeding.

And so to bed.

Comments