A day of two halves

By the time I had sent off my biography to Island Ink this morning I was busily detesting everything I've ever written and viewed life as a heap of rotting beans. When the storm outside abated I went for a walk in the rainy Laines and bought, in a slightly self-flagellating way, excellent books by Mario Petrucci and Mimi Khalvati, poets I knew well who have gone on to become quietly famous.

Things started to cheer up moments later when I randomly bumped into Cathy and we went for a coffee and fairly wide-ranging discussions about life and portfolio careers.

I went for a cobweb-blasting walk by the sea. I loved being on the wind-lashed pier. The fairground rides were all closed, and I stood by the merry-go-round, which creaked and shifted in the wind. My clothes were flapping, the wind roaring in my ears, closed shutters rattled, and the sea seethed below the boards. Quite suddenly all my petty concerns were blown off like a clump of sea spume, and I felt myself again. I popped into the gents and my hair had been blasted upright so that I looked like an ancient and portly third member of the atrocious Jedward.

Then a series of emails from the Gem of the Sea to further brighten my day. A teacher in a Guernsey school has picked up on The boy who fell upwards, and wants to use my poems in school, and put them on a Guernsey teacher's website. Then a note from Catriona booking me for next year's literary festival to run Skelton Yawngrave sessions, and for Riccardo and I to do two poetry readings. I was also contacted by Tom Hicks, a Guernsey-born pianist and composer at Chetham's School of Music, about doing some work together.

Finally the money I am owed by my French client is being paid into the Kenny coffers tomorrow, and I am now officially in better shape financially than I have been for at least a year.

The evening up the road to babysit my Godbairns as Anna and Anton went off to parent's evening. Anton worried and apprehensive about it, but the kids proved to be exemplary. Anton showed me two paintings by Klaudia they have had framed. She is a natural artist.

Anton and I went for a cheeky beer in the Eddy, discussing the funny book by Alexei Sayle Stalin ate my homework he had made me buy and I am now reading. Then off to the Batty to meet Lorraine, and her pal Lorraine Miles who I find very funny and likeable.

Below some seaside snaps.








Comments