Found

Just plain cold today. Thanking my lucky stars I did not have to commute into a tube-strike-hit London. Instead off to the shops and the gym. Bought some spoons and forks, to complete a green handled set I'd bought recently, and envelopes to send another book off to Amazon. Then a spell in the gym, and straight to Sainsburys where a man started joking about panic buying. The unusually early snow which is afflicting much of the UK still hasn't been seen in Brighton. It is coming later this week.

Began revising Skelton Yawngrave today, after about 93 displacement activities, and I think my amends will considerably strengthen it.

Feeling hungry and a tad coldish as the afternoon wore on. Spoke to Anton who was keen to discuss football, and to Lorraine, who has managed to vault the first hurdle towards a possible future headteachership which was big and clever of her.

In the evening off to St Michael and All Angels church to sit in on a Rainbow Chorus rehearsal. Fingers at the piano and Matt being authoritative and showing everyone how to relax by tensely waggling his shoulders. I find it curiously moving to listen to the choir singing, even with all the revisions and reworkings going on in their practice session. Every now and then there is a passage where it all comes together, and it is rather lovely. After a while Matt moved them on to rehearsing Found, the piece Matt and I did together, and Matt introduced me to the choir (although by now I know quite a few of them). The usual nitty gritty rehearsal stops and starts, but when the sang it right through at the end it sounded fantastic, and I felt proud and admiring of Matt's beautiful composition skills, and the words didn't cause me to toe curl hearing them sung by 40 people.

A swift beer afterwards with some of the singers before Matt and I were left to chat about the opera before going our separate ways in the cold still night. The pub we'd adjourned to has a pub cat which is fed at the bar. This means it can regularly seen standing on a stool with its front paws on the bartop looking about it expectantly as if waiting for a drink. Of course the dialogue would be... Cat: Can I have a... lager. Barman: Why the small pause? Cat: Hurry up I want to get ratted, and so on.

Comments