Beth's birthday

Beth's 19th birthday today, but Beth overnight had been in a time machine and was about 10 when she bounced into the bedroom at 6:30am. Soon after she bought cups of tea and her and Mark sat on the end of the bed like talking cats, until Betty's present opening ceremony began.

She got a Crackberry from Lorraine, Mark got her a useful combination toy aircraft/fork and some Cath Kidston oven gloves, which matched the Cath Kidston cook's pinafore I got her. Luckily we'd bought the same colour and pattern too. The Cath Kidston shop was where I was accused of shoplifting last weekend. I found it migraine-inducingly stuffed with kitch and flowery stuff in pink and baby blue. I suspect, however, I may not be target market.

Beth off to work at the stage school to be sung happy birthday to by small children, and then have a drink with her dad and lots of presents and a party with her mates in the evening. Klaudia now goes to the stage school too and took a card for her, which was a lovely surprise. Mark put huge effort into hiding her presents around the house, and I helped him cram a wardrobe full of balloons so that they would tumble over her, and so on. Beth is fond of a small flashing yellow duck called Beans, and Mark organised a Beans-decorated cake for her. I suspect Beans of a secret significance.

Lorraine and I later off to the garden centre (this shortly after nine) to buy cat food. I bought some cat biscuits for 'difficult cats'.

And then I did something I badly regretted. I bought six large neon tetras for my tank. The angels decided, when they were young angels, that the other small fish in my tank are too big to eat. But the angels have grown a lot since then, and new fish are treated on their merits.

These neons were quickly eaten despite being a similar size to other tetras in the tank. The angels seeming to work as a team. A fact which appalled Lorraine as she watched a dead neon being snatched from one angelic mouth to another. I felt terrible. I have had few deaths in my tank, and most of the fish in it I have had for two years. I managed to rescue one - but this so traumatised and shocked it may not pull through. A horrible business, and I can't believe I was so stupid.

A gold sofa evening but lousy television, till Match of the Day. Anton had earlier texted a thoughtful reminder to watch it. Chelsea were a long way clear of the pack, but have suddenly imploded and lost the last three games in a row, and now have the same amount of points as Manchester bloody United. Bah.


Below my first Santa of Christmas, this one being inflated outside the garden centre.

Comments