Agony

The pain in my knee, which had been terrible, turned into a bout of full-blown gout. My foot and knee felt like they were having red hot knitting needles pushed into them without anaesthetic all night. I was almost sobbing with pain at some points. Gout apparently is a genetic predisposition which I was disturbed to find that I have. I occasionally have had an ankle which has mysteriously seized up, which I always referred to as orc foot. I have only ineffectual medication as the condition hasn't done me any harm -- till now. It is treatable, and during the night the certainty of my visiting the doctor to get it sorted was very clear and distinct in my mind.

Able to snatch a few hours sleep towards the morning, after the worst of the pain abated. Left hardly able to walk, and feeling depressed and that I had ruined the holiday for myself and Lorraine. I stayed at home all day, resting my leg drinking port wine and eating venison while smoking an opium pipe.

However a very nice evening. Was able to hobble to the bus, and went into town to go to Christies, where we met Jenny, her friend Kevin and Jane and Richard. Jenny is the radio presenter whose show Richard and I had been on last month. Both Lorraine and I really liked her, and Kevin was interesting too. After a few drinks, Lorraine and I went with Richard and Jane to the Vale, where Jane cooked us a typically delicious meal. We all had a good evening, and lots of chatting, although I was slightly fading by the end of the night. Taxied happily off into the night.

Comments