Into the labyrinth

After a few days of feeling ropey my left knee flared up mysteriously overnight, which meant that it was painful and difficult to walk on. Despite pouring rain decided to get up and buy a loaf and some gâche from Senners, and a paper. Was phoned by work people, and declined leaving my holiday to do some freelance in London. Felt rather melancholy walking through the rain down La Rue des Grons, where my grandparents used to live.

Knee positively painful when I got home. However I enjoyed spending time with Lorraine, reading the Gita and listening to tunes. There is a passage in the Bhagavad Gita 4 that speaks strongly to me. "And know also of a work that is silence: mysterious is the path of work. The Man who in his work finds silence, and who sees that silence is work, this man in truth sees the Light and in all his works finds peace."

In the afternoon an extraordinary interlude. We went to The German Military Underground Hospital and Ammunition store. I don't ever remember going here before. You walk into a grey concrete door in the side of a verdant hill in St Andrews, and enter a damp labyrinth of concrete.

It was a very claustrophobic place, and Lorraine and I only felt happy when we knew exactly how to get to the nearest exit. Oppressive and fascinating.


As you leave this labyrinth you walk through a passageway papered with copies of Guernsey Newspapers made during the war and full of Nazi propaganda. This can only be described in pictures, below.

Below the German Military Underground Hospital and Ammunition Store, at La Vassalerie. I took lots of photos there, and here are a few.















Comments