Cappuccino Mirabilis

Another day's vacation, and still feeling a bit wussy. Anton phoned first thing sounding poor with a massive headache and fever. So perhaps it is something doing the rounds. Either way I go back to work tomorrow and we've done none of the dragon walk which is galling.

Instead I took a walk down by the misty sea and still felt a bit spinny-headed and tired crunching along the stones. Despite this it was good to be out. From there went to the Sanctuary cafe. Discovered there's another poetry night next Monday so I'll go there to inflict shock and awe. As the excellent rapper Common says: "Even actors and ball players be knowin' my rhymes", and it's only right that the bards of Brighton should be knowin' mine.

While I was there, I had a good cappuccino and the miraculous zap of caffeine precipitated a reorganisation of my life. One of the first things I wrote down in my Moleskine is that I should have zero tolerance for not trying. I need organisation and persistence, and I have made myself a commitment to do something every day towards changing my life. Then I wrote lots of lists and brain dumped for half an hour, and felt a good deal better about everything afterwards. Believing change possible is in itself the biggest step.

When I got home in the afternoon I started to work on my plan. I want to write myself a brief, a bit like the creative briefs I work from in the agency. I also dug out the How to Change your life in 7 days book, only because I remembered it has a fairly sensible (and standard) template for change.

First you define what your big dream is, listing the what you consider the most important things in the world, then you have to complete this statement "If I could be, do and have anything in the world, I would..."

Then the difficult bit. How will you know when you are succeeding? You then have to set yourself key goals against a timeline. The steps to change are what I am finding hardest to define. But thinking it through is a very good exercise.

Afternoon interspersed with IM chats with Sarah, which was a good thing. Otherwise not too much happening. But at least I felt a bit better today and much more cheerful. I expect I'll be almost back to normal at work tomorrow.

Below Brighton seafront as a grey as anything...



Comments