A box of dragonflies

I was woken by the postman this morning. Regular readers will understand that, despite this being Brighton, he wasn’t actually in my bedroom but knocking on my door.

To my surprise was a parcel from the US from Sarah. It was a box of dragonflies. First there was a tin which, when opened, contained a beautiful origami box housing two dragonflies. Then there were other presents: a special edition of Wings of Desire, which is one of my all time favourite films, a box of Scooby Snacks (self-evidently sensible), some Moleskine (my favourite kind) notebooks and a lovely Valentine's card which was full of heart-shaped sprinkles. There was a note on the envelope to open it over a table. Moreover everything was immaculately presented, so much so that I was reluctant to open things. It was such a surprise that I took a snap first thing in the morning of some of its contents.

So it was a very happy and cheery Peter Kenny that set off to the dark place to work this morning. Within an hour and a half of being at work I had to take myself off for ten minutes to stop myself from simply walking out. Eventually I began to crisis manage and tell people what was realistically achievable and what wasn't. But I crossed a Rubicon today and I left work at 7:30 and made my way home. However I sent a email moaning to Sarah and felt better.

Got a lovely note from Joan in Deviation Road Ontario. "Reading your blog this a.m." she said, "I couldn't resist sending you some photos of REAL WINTER complete with RESPECTABLE ACCUMULATIONS OF SNOW."

Entirely exhausting day and it was at last over for me at 7:30pm, and I made my way wearily home. Then up the road to see Anton and Anna. Anton had bought a special wheely thing to measure distance on maps, and we plotted the route of our Dragon walk. It is about 47 miles and we'll start it next month all being well.

Then finally I came home and spoke to Sarah in an exhausted way. She is very lovely indeed.

Below part of my dragonfly package, Pinkie the Wondercat heads into the forest, real Ontario snow from Joan.


Comments