Notes on a Scandal

Saturday found me needing to recharge my batteries after a tricky week. Slept in somewhat and started the day with a skype exchange with a sleepy Sarah. Then did Things that needed to be done such as having a haircut, doing laundry and so on.

I am getting into the habit of taking myself to see films from time to time. Feels a bit strange to be alone but as soon as the film starts it makes no difference. Today being grey and sordid, I took myself off to the cinema to see Notes on a Scandal. Listening to my iPod downloaded film reviews is proving quite handy. It was an extremely good film that I would probably not have bothered with otherwise. It was actually bleakly funny, and deals with two teachers, one a year away from retirement, jaded and bitter with an obsessive streak played brilliantly by Judi Dench, and a younger and slightly flakey art teacher played excellently by Cate Blanchett. The older one becomes obsessive in a repressed lesbian sort of way over the younger, while the younger is embroiled in a scandalous affair with a pupil. Great script, and very well acted all round.

Interested to read that Barak Obama has thrown his hat in the ring to go for President. I read his autobiography Dreams from my father last year, buying it in Newark airport. Very interesting guy. Be fascinating to see how his story unfolds.

Ended the day as it began, talking to Sarah but with roles reversed - me sleepy, Sarah bouncy.

Comments