On computers, burglars and First Matie

A new computer today. A shiny silver and white Dell Inspiron. I had to wait in most of the day for it be delivered. I was hoping for a first thing delivery so I could get to work, but it wasn't to be. This, however, turned out very well for me.

In the morning the police called to say that there was no DNA match for my burglar.

I thought no more of this till there was a knock on the door just before 1.00pm. I opened up thinking it was the computer delivery guy but instead there was a tall guy of about 25 with a broad face and a bright orange jacket, who asked me in a heavy east European accent if I had any work.

Not the sort of question you ask in a random residential area. A few seconds after I had said no, and closed the door, I smelled a rat. I walked out into the Twitten only to see that he had legged it -- without knocking on anyone else's door. I felt sure this was the man who burgled me. He was tall, as was the burglar, looked a bit out of it, and was clearly knocking on the door to establish if anyone was in. He wasn't from the UK too, which might also explain why there was no DNA match.

So I quickly called the cops, and about 40 minutes later they phoned back saying they had caught someone not too far away attempting another break in, and that they were fairly sure it was the same bloke. I was then phoned again with a more cautious reading of events by the cops, but it was all quite lively. As I was talking to the police on the phone my computer was delivered too.

In the evening I went up to Victoria to meet First Matie for curry and beers. We started in Thistle Hotel and, via the Bag O Nails, went for a nice Sri Lankan curry. Lovely to see Kate again and we generally put the world to rights. She is one of the best people in the world for having a few beers with, something we hadn't done for several months.

I woke up at midnight in an empty train in Brighton Station, and hurried blearily home to bed.

Comments