The bloody aftermath

Trying to normalise things. Up after a few hours sleep and got to work cleaning blood from my house. Literally cleaning the blood from the walls. Amazing where it got. Even last thing at night having washed the blood from everywhere I could see, I picked up my book on Berlin 1945 just before I dropped to sleep to find blood on that too.

Thanks to mum, I've discovered that salt is an incredibly effective agent for removing blood from fabric and so on. The sofa covers especially responded well to being soaked in salty water.

Remo happened to have scheduled this week to do my shelves, so he was a solid and reassuring presence. Had my window replaced with toughened glass, by a man with so many cuts on his arms he was joking that he'd been asked if he goes in for self-harming. Remo is full of suggestions about how he can improve the safety of my house and prevent access over the garden wall.

Discovered that my portfolio case had been taken as well as a bottle of wine and some noodles from the fridge. Most gutting was the discovery that he went off with the key to the garden door, so I have had to improvise by locking this with my bike lock. I was quietly pleased to discover on Monday that the bloody burglar had taken a bite from some uncooked but breaded fish that was waiting to be grilled.

Generally tiring day however. Spoke to quite a few people. Mum was excellent, and spoke to Bob too, as well as The Gnome and Pat from work.

Later on, at tea time I'd had a headache for a while but was very disconcerted by a big sickle of flashing light in my eyes that was there if I closed my eyes or not. It being me, I found myself seized by hypochondria, and phoning Mum and then NHS direct and spoke to a nurse who was very kind. The lightshow stopped as suddenly as it had begun however and all was well.

Retreated into the blessed normality of watching a few episodes of Frazier before going to bed with a large hammer handy.

Apart from the intrusions and so on, am very sad about losing all my work on the laptop.

Comments

Kate said…
That completely sucks. Hope rotten burglar gets caught soon, and was sick from the fish. Let me know if a beer with First Mate will help in any way, shape or form. x