Greeks bearing gifts

Up with the lark and putting up the blinds in my living room with only one short bout of enraged swearing. Remo has discovered that there are big chunks of flint in my walls (the house is 150 years old) which explains why drilling has been a very unpredictable affair. Today the gods of drilling must have been appeased. Now I have blinds are light-proof so that my room will be obscured from the eyes of would-be pilferers as they peer at my windows at night.

Sophie, Andros, Christof and Electra were in town for the weekend, and they are very cheerful company. First we went to the pier and me and Sophie did bumper cars with the kids. Sophie completely exhilarated afterwards. Then I was dragged off to get drenched in the watersplash. I am not over fond of fairground rides, and the children and Sophie seemed to derive quite a bit of enjoyment from the photo of the waterspash log poised at the summit with my face frozen in a rictus grin while the two kids are nochalantly waving at the camera.

Christof going on unspeakable rides again. Then off to the Mock Turtle for restorative cups of tea. We went our separate ways for a bit before meeting up again in Food for Friends. We were sat by the window watching as streams of hen-night women disgorged from stretch limos.

Lovely vegetarian food, of course and I was surprised to find myself the recipient of a large chocolate birthday cake and everyone singing happy birthday. Amazing to see the happiness with which Electra will eat a large plate of spinach.

After much cheery chat, Andros took the sleepy kids back home, and Sophie and me finished the night by drinking a good deal of organic wine and cognac and generally put the world to rights till the restaurant closed. After seeing Soph into a taxi, I walked happily back through the town carrying the remains of chocolate cake and three pots of cyclamen they'd given me as a present.

Comments