For a few moments in The Dove

Ordered a new computer today. Also obtained a copy of my ticket to Japan, which means my post-burglary to do list now is down to a few bits and pieces.

Unseasonably warm again. The trees are all still green. It's crazy. I had a lunchtime mooch with the FB along the river. Heard news of a house that he and Max have got their eye on. We sat outside The Dove looking across the river in the sun and, thoughtfully savouring single glasses of wine, we discussed among other things how great a boozer The Dove is. A low ceilinged room with a crackling fire in the Winter, and a terrace by the river in the Summer makes it perfect in all seasons. For several minutes there by the river, all felt deeply right with the world.

Home, and I finished watching the Wim Wenders documentary of the Buena Vista Social Club which was free with The Observer on Sunday. A gentle and enjoyable film. Touching to see the Cubans wandering about in Manhattan -- and them on top of the Empire State building looking south to the Twin Towers.

Inspired by Cubans I spent an enjoyable hour or so drinking tea and playing guitar which I plugged into my amp (using headphones so as not to alarm the neighbours).

Almost at the end of my book about the Berlin 1945. Fascinating but horrifying too. Interesting to read how, in the last days of Nazi-ruled Berlin, men were seen by their womenfolk. After the patriarchal Nazi era, the beaten and diminished Nazi men were seen as objects of pity and contempt by the women. I never knew about the mass rapes of German women by the Red Army either. The whole thing was horrible, and makes me feel very grateful that I live in such a safer place and time.

Comments