A meeting of minds

The clocks fell back today, heralding darkness in the afternoons. Despite this I woke up early, despite feeling wan and feeble after yesterday's walk. I spent an enjoyable day pottering off to the supermarket, chatting with the neighbours, offloading a few books at Oxfam, and so on. Popped up to Anton's place to drop off two bags of chocolates with plastic spiders on them for the bairns. They were having a Halloween party, and the place full of parents and toddlers. Baby Klauds, I noticed, had exceptionally neatly combed hair, while the normally placid Oskar was howling somewhat.

Then off to see Janet, for wide-ranging chats, cups of Earl Grey tea and some nice home made biscuits. She also nicely gave me a ticket to an event she is instrumental in organising called What value, the arts? which is called "A Meeting of Minds event", which sounds good. As usual Janet has made me think about life in a slightly different way, and this is exactly what I need at the moment. Ken is off in Aix, and she is going to join him in a few days.

The other day I received an email from Wally Watkins who is a neighbour of Joan and Dick on Deviation Road out in Ontario. I have never met Wally, but he suggested I should call a friend of his called Michael who lives in Brighton. Apparently they were at university together 54 years ago. Anyway, shortly after returning Janet's place I had a funny conversation with a well-refreshed Michael as we tried to establish how I knew Wally, which of course I don't, and why I'd called him and so on. All good fun.

Comments