A different time

Okay so I lied about Hammersmith Cemetery. Ended up taking yet another picture, and going for a short walk there with the French Bloke this lunchtime. It's like stepping into a different time, and we wandered around in it talking cheerfully about mortality. The FB's opinion is that the thing that remains after we die is not our spirit but actually the chemical elements that have made up our bodies, in the reverse of the usual religious orthodoxy.

Left work at 4:00pm again, and made it back to Brighton very early. It's amazing the difference actually having an evening makes. As I left work I felt a wave of optimism about the future, and about poetry of all things.

Arriving home I was surprised to find a hand-delivered envelope with a note from Anil, an old school friend, in it. I have not seen him for at least 25 years, but there were no contact details.

As I type I am watching a recreation of the events of 9/11 on BBC tonight, due to the upcoming five year anniversary.

Seeing Ground Zero last March and having been to New York several times since then has made it all even more horribly real. The programme is traumatising but very compelling. Of course I remember the day very clearly, watching the events at work in the TV department with American Craig, and my utter disbelief as a second plane flew in. I thought of MJ (who was then my penfriend) instantly. Before I left for work I had swapped emails with her as she was wide awake at an ungodly hour of the morning. I emailed her when I got home and still remember how traumatised she was.

Banal things too come to mind too: running in to Nev my then art director and yelling at him about what was happening. He refused to come because he was sulking over a layout, and probably because planes flying into NY skyscrapers just didn't make any sense.

Below... Last one I promise.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Achhh - keep the cemetery photo's coming. Why assume your audience is bored already?
;-)
Flyswim
S