A Gnome at the feet of Giants

Reading more about the root chakra at lunchtime, and I think I need to open mine up. And one of the ways to open it up, I discover, is to hug trees and imagine their roots. Perhaps I shall steal off tomorrow lunchtime for a quick cuddle with a conifer in the graveyard. Nothing eccentric about that is there? No sir.

There was a free folk CD with Mojo magazine last month called The Quiet Revolution. I don't know much about folk music, as it seems perilously close to Morris Dancing. And waving hankies and brandishing sticks at one another while dancing like white people is an offence against nature.

Anyway, there was track by someone called Davy Graham on it who was, I've learnt, a guitarist trailblazer in the sixties. The CD features an amazing, previously unreleased, track called Blues Raga, which was recorded in 1967. This reminds me slightly of some of Alice Coltrane's work. And as its name suggests, the tune is a bit like a raga, but played in a slightly bluesy way (hope this is not too complicated). Anyway, Blues Raga has been subject to heavy rotation in the Twitten since I got it at the end of last week.

Imagine my surprise when I played it to The Gnome today. The Gnome said it was rubbish because it didn't go anywhere, but he also mentioned that Davy Graham had been his guitar teacher. Apparently Graham was rather wild eyed, and starey. In their first lesson he wandered off for about twenty minutes having told the young Gnome to carry on. He returned some time later, evidently invigorated by some substance or other. The Gnome was still playing earnestly, until Graham burst out in wild laughter, which I don't think The Gnome liked very much. He never returned.

Off to bed now.

Comments

Kate said…
Hey Pete. Not sure about the new design of the blog. Please can you change it all back to how it was? Ta. x
Peter Kenny said…
Ah. The green eyed monster takes many strange forms First Matie.
Anonymous said…
Davy Graham "father" of the DADGAD tuning, go on be a devil and try it, it'll make you come over all beardy...

Anil