Thor and Dragan

Fortunately a quiet day at work as my energy was low. This, however, gave me a chance to work on the new radio play a little at lunchtime which was good. I have now completed a full first draft of The Secret Life of the Norse God Thor, and it is cohering nicely and for the first time has a completed plot. It is an idea I have been kicking around for ages, and have gradually added to in the last couple of years. Suddenly I can finish it though.

Andrzej Dragan, an excellent young Polish portrait photographer brought his portfolio into the agency. He says that he often takes several shots quickly in natural light, then spends days merging the different elements to create a composite photo. For example the base shot of one image was a portrait. The eyes were closed, but he took another one seconds later with the eyes open. He has superimposed the the open eyes onto the other image, and so on. Some extraordinary and edgy images.Look at the portfolio on his site.

It occurred to me that this technique is a bit more like painting, which layers time into the process of making an image, while you can argue that a normal photo is an instant captured.

Was emailed by Caroline, whose wedding I was sadly unable to go to last month, with some photos. She looks really good in them. There's a glamorous black and white one of her and James below. Skype with Toby tonight just before bedtime. And... Now yet another early night.


Comments

Anonymous said…
amazing photography - the series of marta photos were really powerful. also loved the 'entering the barbie bar' and piano tuner ones. And then your friend's wedding shot is so full of happiness and positive simplicity - really am going to get better at photography.

Did you hug a tree? Palm trees are a bit itchy...

don't think it'll let me send this as me again...

cheers
aimee
x
Peter Kenny said…
He often uses photoshopping but said that the Marta photos were completely untouched. He said that in the shoot she was very calm while all the other people were feeling nervous and upset.

As for the tree hugging... Not done it yet but there IS a nice little beech I've got my eye on.
Anonymous said…
Hi Pete
Fame at last! It was nice of you to post our wedding pic for your millions (i'm assuming) of blog admirers to see. I love the blog, you write very beautifully. Perhaps you can teach me???
Caroline x