Paris November 1979
The Gnome scanned in the photo below today at work. It is a photo of me in Paris when I'd just turned 20, and is probably the best ever photo of me. Giddy with the freedom of being at University, I went with some of my new University friends to Paris for a long weekend. A trip well worth getting into trouble with Martin Warner my personal tutor for. (And I was in trouble when I returned.)

Because we were doing it on the cheap, we had to share beds. The first night I shared with a Californian guy called Scott who took this photo. The next day I was asked by another guy (who we were unkindly calling Captain Sensible) to swap with him. Oddly Captain Sensible had been sharing with a beautiful girl called Julie who was on my floor at my hall of residence. Naturally I was only too happy to help him out.

In the middle of the night (everything had been very proper between me and Julie) I woke up to a sound which I took to be the ceiling caving in. Very soon, however, I noticed Julie sitting bolt upright in the bed, flashing her black eyes at me and the noise was of her demonically grinding her teeth. Suddenly I wondered why the other guy had chosen not to share with her, and the fact that we were in room 13 seemed horribly meaningful. I was so freaked out that I said the Lord's Prayer to her. This seemed to work, and she fell back into a calm sleep. I remember lying awake for some time afterwards, listening to a couple arguing in shouty French on the cobbled street outside and feeling slightly disconcerted.


Comments

aimee said…
that is an amazing picture - were you totally posing or was it caught unaware? ;-)

Not taking the piss, love it! Scary julie bird (hints of ali g?)

take care pk, big love from me xx
Peter Kenny said…
Was probably being Lord Byron in my head...
Anonymous said…
Awesome.

R