Woke up early to the hushed locomotive sound of swans flying above the canal.

Fun day with Max. Playing with her kids and their guinea pigs in the morning. One of the the animals, an ultra long-haired version, looks like a walking toupee. I ended up having to have it on my lap and stroke its "golden face" as young Robyn got a bit upset because I was laughing at it too much. Robyn who is just about to turn eight asked me if I was circumcised, which was a bit of a googly first thing. Turns out she had learnt the word in a religious studies class at school.

Out and about, World Cup Fever had taken over. At least 50% of people were wearing England shirts for the big game today.

After the children had been collected by their father, Max and I then had a long walk along the canal (pausing for a drink at one point) before reaching her mother's house. Very nice walk, and passed some cygnets. I think it is outrageous how they make rings out of them.

At Max's mum's place I watched England's opening game against the mighty Paraguay, which we were lucky to win by a single goal. Then had a lovely afternoon sitting in the sun near the pool talking to Max, her mother, a cousin and a fiancee of a cousin. All the while being given cold beer and ham and mustard sandwiches.

Max and me then pushed off and had a really nice curry and loads of in-depth conversations. Like me until recently, she is conducting a passionate transatlantic relationship, and has been very supportive of me and was very helpful when I was considering moving over there. She is turning into a very good friend.

Later we watched a DVD of a sad love film called The Constant Gardener which I enjoyed.

Comments

claire said…
Apparently there were people in Brighton this saturday wearing no shirts as they were on a nude bicycle protest. How unpatriotic of them! ps. Don't kids ask lovely questions!