Found myself on a blind date tonight.

After making me a bracing cup of chai brewed with milk, sugar and fresh ginger, Shaila drove me off to Basingstoke station. On the train to London I realised that after a very sound night's sleep I felt healthier and more cheerful than I had done for at least week.

The day went by in a bit of a blur. Seems the work The Gnome and me had done this week had gone down well. Little to do this afternoon, so I had the idea to sneak off at lunchtime to sit in a pub garden by the river for lunch. Half the agency had the same idea.

Returning to the agency, I spoke to Caroline, Anton's cousin. She wants some advice about her wedding speech, so I will meet her next week which will be fun. Then watched a few minutes of the first World Cup game.

I was then collected by Max the Mentor from the work bar several hours later. Max and I started being friends when she was at one point designated at work to be my mentor. She is in the financial side of the business, and so is organised. Expecially with numbers.

Max drove us to leafy Hertfordshire (where she lives) and en route I was surprised to learn that she had booked a table for two at a Thai restaurant for the blind date she had set me up on. For tonight. When I was quizzing her about this person it turned out that she hardly knew her and she was a friend of her cousin. Much laughing about this.

Collected Max's bairns Robyn and Eddie from Max's mother, and went back to Max's place to drop off my stuff before I was taken to a nearby town. Max waited with me in the Thai Restaurant till my date, a nice lady called Penny, turned up. Overcame fleeting sense of bizarreness as I have never been on a blind date before.

Not ideal preparations as I'd had a few beers and had no time to think about it, so sailed through. Penny, my date, had known about it for a couple of weeks, and was quite nervous. Anyway, she was a perfectly nice person and an artist, and we ended up having an enjoyable evening, with her dropping me at Max's place later on.

Anyway gratefully to bed at Max's place. Lovely third floor room overlooking the canal, and it was so hot and quiet I fell asleep with the window wide open.

Comments