Shattered, but got to work early and worked like a dog. A swim in lieu of a lunchtime, but tired and creaky in the pool. On returning to work decided that I'd simply go home early as things at last were quieter, as the pitch is now imminent and most of my work is done. Once home did nothing of note other than to sleep and watch a Samuel Beckett scripted football game between Switzerland and Ukraine.

Also fielded a lengthy and somewhat drunk phonecall from Paul, who is threatening to come down to Brighton so we can take his son to throw stones on the beach.

Had a letter today from Sophie, containing the text of The Eight Verses of Training (Or Transforming) The Mind. Electra had photocopied it, and she had written a note saying "Dear Peter, this is a training fome Sophie". Here's is the Rigpa translation of verse 3 which Sophie likes, and one that speaks to me.

Verse 3 "Watch your mind and drive out mental afflictions"

In my every action, I will watch my mind,
And the moment destructive emotions arise,
I will confront them strongly and avert them,
Since they will both hurt me and others.

Verse 5 "Accept such loss as being blamed, without trying to defend yourself"

Whenever someone out of envy
Does me wrong by attacking or belittling me,
I will take defeat upon myself,
And give the victory to others.

Comments