Toby's birthday, but wasn't able to reach him.

A long day at the Buddhist grindstone. It is exhausting mainly because we are all crammed into a room which has few windows, and no air conditioning. It is absolutely sweltering hot (another scorcher in London) it must have been at least 90F inside, and absolutely airless. Battling against nodding off all the time, and I was far from the only one.

Despite this, I found some of the teachings very interesting. There is a stream of information only some of which I was able to download. A bit of it familiar to me in principle, while other parts spoke to me more than others. When I get time, perhaps tomorrow night, I will put here some of interesting parts I was able to grasp.

The event overran well into the evening, so wasn't able to pop over to Ealing for Matty's party.

Went for a walk with Sophie and her Buddhist friend Kate around the local park after a fast Haloumi salad. We ended up talking about Mark, who was Sophie's University boyfriend. Mark, Sophie and me shared a house in our final year, Mark was in the year below. Mark was very manic and had a colossal breakdown as Sophie and I were doing our exams.

Sophie went through lots with him. I look back now and feel that I wasn't particularly supportive of him or Sophie. I dismissed it as attention seeking. In some phases he was so gallingly self-confident and bullet proof, it didn't really register that he was ill at the time. I was 22, and was far too wrapped up in my own life. Selfishly, I just remember feeling angry with him, for disrupting everything. Like coming to my first ever poetry reading, and leaving noisily halfway through. He died more than ten years ago having driven his motorbike at high speed into a parked car. God bless him.

Tiresome journey home yet again. Missed the Brighton train by 1 minute at Kings Cross and then was menaced by a drug addict with a large dog on the platform. Having to advise people to eff off not entirely consistent with Love, Compassion, Joy and Equanimity. Ah, the weight of the real.

Below the master Sogyal Rinpoche.

Comments