Writers' night

Working at the skeleton coalface for much of the day. Finally untangled chapter from hell, and now have baggiest bit of the novel to slash but there is the glimmer of dawn on the horizon. Also did a smidge of copywriting

In other news, I had an interesting night out with a posse of writers in the Hotel Du Vin which is a fairly stylish place near to the sea on Ship Street. I was the first to arrive, and as I did not know what anyone looked like, I felt rather awkward and strangely nervous. Luckily after ten minutes Sally who I just about recognised turned up.

Inspired to meet Miriam Moss who is a prolific children's writer and has published about 30 books. Also met an interesting and quite intense South African guy called Richard Lambert who is writing a novel about evil. Long chat with these two. Richard described working in a Township school teaching Wordsworth or Keats and looking out of the window to see plumes of smoke coming where people were being necklaced with burning tyres. There were several other writers there including Sally O'Reilly and Susanna Jones, and it is useful to learn how other writers fare.

After this, I happened to be walking past the Black Lion which was open, and heard the strains of a soulful singer and guitarist. So I popped in for an absolute bloody final and found myself loving the music. Brighton is cool.

Comments