Easter Sunday with my Godchildren

Up early to get on with things, but my glasses, now sadly necessary for reading and writing, had been left at Lorraine's house. Thwarted again.

When the day was rebooted, Lorraine and I went out shopping for easter eggs, wine and CDs. I bought the Welcome to Mali by Amadou and Mariam having loved their last album, and Theolonious Monk's Greatest Hits which the Cat with the Hat had introduced me to. Lorraine bought Fleet Foxes, and Elvis Perkins, and Gomez - things which are not plinky-plonky. I have learned that quite a bit of my music falls into the plinky-plonky genre - it is a wide-ranging genre, which includes much jazz, prog, early blues, and classical music that uses atonality or too much dissonance.

I am embarking on a new jazz phase, and was inspired by a BBC TV documentary 1959: The Year that Changed Jazz. Nineteen fifty nine was a major year in Jazz with the release of the immaculate Kind of Blue by Miles Davis, Take Five by Dave Brubeck, Mingus Ah Um, and Ornette Coleman's The Shape of Jazz to Come. Fascinating programme which made me want to buy the Ornette Coleman and Mingus records which I don't know. 1959 was a big year in my life too, as I made my earthly debut in the middle of October which may explain my jazzular nature.

Off with Lorraine to Anton and Anna's house for a wonderful Easter lunch today. Anton's Mum Anne was there with her friend Sheila. Anne very sad but seeming quite poised, her grandchildren were a lovely distraction though.

It was good to see the Godbairns. Oskar surprised me by saying my name today and talking to me a lot about snails and cat poo after he had insisting I came out to the garden with him. He has a happy nature, and is a typical little boy with muddy knees who falls over and gets right up again. He was scrambling up the garden wall, and driving around on his wooden bike. Klaudia also the cutest little thing too of course. She was mainly putting clothes pegs on the olive tree and my teeshirt and using a cloth to trampoline Baby the doll.

Had a good chat with Anna, who had been on a steep learning curve helping Anne sort things out afterwards. She is a great daughter in law, apart from anything else. Anton cooked a really nice roast lamb with many of veggies, followed by cheese and biscuits and a big home made cheesecake accompanied by a little lemon and honey flavoured vodka. I would have taken photos, but my camera was with my glasses.

Below: one of my first Jazz phases.

Comments