Head in books

Oskar's birthday today.

Went to bed last night reading Escape from the Antarctic by Ernest Shackleton, and became absolutely riveted by it and had to read it till I finished. Unbelievably gruelling journey across the south Atlantic with five others, and across South Georgia by foot to get provisions and a boat to rescue the rest of his crew marooned and icebound 800 miles away. Amazing stuff. Dreamed of ice and stormy seas as a result.

Today still recovering from the after effects of food poisoning. However did some of the work I was unable to do on Monday, and pressed ahead with my own stuff. Broke off to get wrapping paper for Oskar's presents, which I then took up to him. Anna had lots of mums and toddlers there so I didn't hang about after a brief chat to her and my Godbairns. I also bought and read Skellig a children's book by David Almond which I'd heard good things about but had not read. Lovely jewel of a book that left the reader with just enough questions afterwards.

Also recalled that the famous slave narrative The Life of Olaudah Equiano mentions a stay in Guernsey. However on checking I discover that he mentions nothing about the island at all other than he liked the people he was staying with.

Otherwise little to report other than a few chats on the phone, and that Calliope brought me two live, and very pissed off, bees.

Comments