Over the Edge

Britain's second National Record Store Day today, which celebrates the institution of the independent record shop, now under threat from things like Amazon and downloadable music.

Anton suggested we went shopping, and we went to five record shops today during which adventure I bought a copy of Mingus Ah Um by Charles Mingus as well as Milestones by Miles Davis, the title track being well known to me.

By far the most interesting record store we went to was called Edge World Records, a shop I have no recollection of ever visiting before. I recognised only a handful of the artist it carries, and even the genres were new to me. Got talking to the really interesting muso beardy guy who works there a few days a week while not doing his own music projects. Amusingly he told us that this shop, which was essentially a small room above an independent clothes shop, was so independent that it was not taking part in the Record shop day. Felt compelled to take some snaps of the place. Well worth a visit.

After record shopping, and a quick bowl of olives and a small bottle of Spanish beer we returned to Anton's place where I looked after my Godchildren for a couple of hours - which got rather lively when the garden spray was used to fill up puddles and there was lots of jumping in these from Oskar, and fishing using nets from both of them. I had a happy time, but it was quite nice to hand them back to their parents and return home for a steadying cup of tea.

Lorraine and I went out to see the movie In the Loop today. A film by Armando Iannucci. The film was unexpectedly excellent a very funny and successful satire. Highly recommended, and full of most excellent swearing. As the Guardian article I've linked to says... It has come out with perfect timing. Who'd have thought I'd become a fan of Armando Iannucci? But I have.

Chelsea today also did me proud by beating Arsenal to reach the FA Cup finals. Gus Hiddink Chelsea's temporary manager has made them believe in themselves all over again. Brilliant! Watched highlights tonight, and shown repeatedly a young boy, an Arsenal fan, sobbing distraughtly. Poor lad.

All well.

Below Oskar wearing the outfit of somone called Sportacus, and Klaudia. Plus Edge Word Records interior with Anton looking at stuff.











Comments