Rain and swine flu

A proper Monday morning for most, teeming with rain in Brighton. I got up a little before seven, scarfed oats and a large cup of tea and got to work. For one good thing about rain, is that it makes you feel great to be inside in the warm and dry.

At eleven I broke off and went out into the rain for a workout in the gym. I used the cross trainer apparatus which is giving Toby legs like the Hulk, and quite enjoyed it. Made me sweaty. Someone nodded at me today in the gym. Naturally, to blend in, I returned their nod with an indifferent stare. I am beginning, just a little, to enjoy it now and feel less self-conscious.

Back to work, untangling a chapter of the book most of the afternoon. I'm keeping focused.

Heard from Diane, and Lorraine and Bob today. Also from a Canadian writer friend Mark who is going to write a travel book about Europe, which sounds rather a splendid idea.

Listening with increasing interest to the news about Swine Flu. Two people have it in Scotland, having returned from a holiday in Mexico. I had to smile last week when the government in Mexico were advising people to stay indoors and avoid crowds. In Mexico City? Everywhere there is as busy as Piccadilly Circus as I remember it. But yesterday I saw TV news clips of empty city streets, which was positively eerie.

Calliope in a bad mood all day due to the rain, and making mischief or starting unprovoked fights by jumping on my desk and biting me. For somehow she is convinced the rain is my fault.

Comments