Up to see Mum for her birthday

Mum's birthday. So I zoomed off this morning, leaving Lorraine snuffling and coughing in bed. Train up to Mill Hill Broadway, fairly event free, although I managed to drop my ticket on the platform, but spot it a few minutes later. Listened to more stories by Aickman.

Arrived at Mum and Mason's house, having diverted to buy a cheery bunch of flowers. Mason chatting to me as mum was getting ready, telling me about how his mother had thwarted all his plans when he was young, and how he had to pay for his own father's burial at the age of sixteen.

Then mum, who has a cold today, drove us off to the Waggon and Horses, and we parked up and went in but they were not serving food. Gradually disentangled Mason from the people he'd instantly begun talking to and made off not far to The Battleaxes, where we strapped on the nosebag. I chose a 'festive burger', Mason had Hunter's Chicken, and was disappointed it wasn't a burger, and mum had duck but did not eat it. Christmas pudding to follow.

Then back home, and we swapped Christmas presents and sat about chatting. Mohena one of their neighbours came in bringing Mum a birthday present. I had met her before, but this time realised just how nice she was. Mum and Mas are blessed with excellent and friendly neighbours (except for their increasingly hostile-to-everyone next door neighbour). This all quite cheery for a bit, and then I could see Mum was wilting with her cold and, as it had taken a few hours to get there, I decided to leave late afternoon. Mum drove me to Mill Hill, and then I trained slowly home.

I found Lorraine on the gold sofa, having snuffled her way through a spreadsheet during the day. She cooked ups some pasta and mushrooms, and after we watched Match of the Day, we shuffled off to bed. But not before we had spoken to Toby and Romy, who were on a balcony facing the sea in Hawaii in the bright sunshine already in the morning of New Year's Eve, to the backdrop of the breaking of Pacific waves. Nice to chat a bit to Romy, and Lorraine and I are looking forward to seeing her and the Tobster in the Summer.

Below I am forgetting to take photos properly. So for Mum's birthday there is no photo of Mum, but instead these reflections on the brushed metal walls of St Pancras caught my eye as I waited twenty minutes for the train.


Comments