Nipping out the thorns

Dimly aware of Sam coming home at 4.00am. He spent most of the day in bed. Lorraine still ill and sofa-centred, and dozing lots. Sonia came around, and cleaned and chatted cheerily, and showed us pictures of the bread her husband had made.

Spoke to Anton who has the dreaded cold. Also heard from Dave Morgan, who I will meet in Brighton with Mandy for a pre-show drink.

I made an exceptional turkey soup, even if I say it myself. And happily chopped up many different vegetables and threw them into the pot, with the stock I had carefully made, along with the remains of Lorraine's amazing chestnut gravy, and added various fresh herbs and spices. Lorraine and Beth do most of the cooking during Christmas, so I felt cheerful to be cooking, while listening to a creepyish story by Robert Aickman called The Unquiet Dust as I did so.

Sam resurfaced enough to have some soup and watch a bit of TV with us, before going back to bed.

I am feeling happier than I have for a while. Having a break over Christmas and chatting to Lorraine has helped me clarify my feelings about the aftermath of Janet's death. It was not strange to be infuriated by being treated badly by people you have done your absolute best for. This resulted in a period of me feeling occasionally resentful and quick to take offence. Fully brought out into the light, I nipped this thorny thing in the bud today.

I saw this online today, and it made me smile. I don't know where it comes from.




Comments