Swing it

A rather raging throat today, but stayed in and did a bit of writing and sent another poetry manuscript out. Was pleasantly surprised by a note from Ben, who suggested an evening out to see some live music. I met him in The Rose Hill, a pub I have never noticed before. It is community owned and had weird plastic foliage hanging down over the bar, so that you felt you needed a machete to buy a beer. Most odd.

The music however, on their Sunny Side swing jazz evening was excellent. It made me think a bit of the Hot Club de France, as they played standards with violin and guitar and bass, with a rather good pianist/clarinettist. Also a woman joined the boys later, playing a cello and singing sweetly. A great little scene there, with appreciative people of all ages some doing a bit of dancing and looking generally smart. I kept thinking how much Mum would like the place.

Nice to chat with Ben outside the glass class. As I suspected we are on a similar wavelength, and have a fair few interests in common, and we ended up talking a wide range of things from astrology to stained glass and music. An unexpectedly cheerful night. Ben gave me a lift up the hill too.

A really nice night, and I crept home, sore of throat but cheerful, and slipping into bed without disturbing Lorraine too badly.




Comments