A hand of kings

Working hard early this morning to complete the first draft of We Three Kings. Felt good to have got there. I'm pleased with it, and I think I have left lots of room in it for the actors to expand and add their own flavours. We Three Kings the carol was written in 1857 by the Rev. John Henry Hopkins. Here's the verse about Frankincense:

Myrrh is mine, its bitter perfume 
Breaths a life of gathering gloom; 
Sorrowing, sighing, bleeding dying, 
Sealed in the stone cold tomb.

Cheery eh? Also a smidge of French work, with Val phoning my from Bamako in Senegal, for reasons unknown.

In the afternoon Innis called round, and took lots of photographs of me. I have been to a fair few shoots in my time, but being the thing being shot is different. In the rare times I'm called on to supply a photo of myself, I always look a bit of a chump in them, so I thought it would be good to have Innis do me a proper shot.

Luckily, Innis, who I'm liking more and more as I get to know him, was really patient and really puts people at their ease. I think he took some excellent photos, but he'll send them to me soon.

Beth came home, and started readying things for the arrival of the company. James came early, as arranged, and we had a good chat. I looked at his illustration portfolio, and he is doing some interesting work with ink and vinegar, mixing very precise drawing and allowing more abstract accidental swirls to occur. He finds himself at artistic and personal crossroads at the moment, and I know what that feels like.

Then a cheery meal with the company, and we read through the full play. Dylan delighted I'd written a rap for him, and the others enjoying what I'd written for them too. Beth will be playing the pivotal role again, as Marybeth. Dylan, an urban King Melchior bringing gold. Kitty will be King Caspar, a cross dressing king and bringer of Frankincense, while James is Balthazara, an Eyoreish king in drag.

Lorraine arrived home late, and after chatting we sloped off to bed tired but happy.

Comments