Wild park

Another stunningly beautiful autumn day. Lorraine and I went in search of trees and drove to nearby Wild Park. Sadly best known locally as the place the bodies of two young girls were discovered 25 years ago. There is a little memorial to them there.

Otherwise it is lovely built around a small valley with a football pitch in it, and surrounded by tree-flanked downs. Lorraine and I scrambled up to the top of one of these and walked about in the woods, stopping in the cafe to sit on a veranda in the strong sun. Here we talked about Lorraine's career and the choices she has at the moment. Just to be somewhere different put these in good perspective. Phoned by Betty who had her training day at Chessington and was sensibly spending her lunch break with penguins.

Felt lovely to be among trees again. At one point Lorraine stopped us and we could hear the papery rasp of leaves falling to the floor. As readers of this blog know, I am no hairy-chested adventurer, but I have always felt at home in woods and forests. Snatches of Frost, Shelley and Keats popping into my head: I have been treading on leaves all day until I am autumn-tired....Thou from whose unseen presence the leaves dead are driven,/Like ghosts before an enchanter fleeing.... Then in a wailful choir, the small gnats mourn/Among the river sallows.... and so on.

Home again via the garden centre to buy cat food and look at plants and fish. Then to work this evening. Lorraine on her work things, and me uploading the photos and creating my gumtree page to try to rent my house. The Tobster called tonight, and we had a long chat. Then bed, after lolling on the sofa watching match of the day, as Lorraine Skyped Beth. All well.

Below, some trees.



Comments