A bat out of Balham

Up at Lorraine's and some steady pottering about helping her to sort things out. Found ourselves in a nearby greasy spoon having egg and bacon sandwiches, with cups of splosh and reading a tabloid. I went home to feed Calliope and then bought some food for Lorraine's house and we did some more sorting and carrying. Then I left Lorraine to it for a while.

Home and First Matie called around to drop off the tape recorder and have a cup of tea, also Alf the plumber came and fixed my shower, and relieved me of a wad of cash.

In the evening I shot up to Balham as it was Lakshmi's birthday with a present and a card. The train from Clapham to Balham full of noisy teenagers, and oldsters tutting at them. It was ever thus. A massive effort of will prevented me tutting along with them, being forced to listen to some tinny grime tune emanating from a mobile phone.

Rather pleased I was bearing a present, as Lakshmi gave me a PG Wodehouse book of short stories published in the year of my birth. Lakshmi happy and surrounded by her nice mates. Very noisy pub with people roaring at the TV as England and France were playing rugby. I was feeling rather flakey rather quickly so made my excuses. I had never been to Balham before but managed to bump into Gemma an ex-colleague. As we were standing before the TV at the time our conversation was brief.

Journey interminable, but I had The Road to listen to. Home, fed Calliope then off to Lorraine's house where I was fed with a nice cheese and tomato sandwich, then lay awake half the night, overtired listening to the strains of a nearby birthday party which had clearly got well out of hand.

Comments