As nice as pie

Up early and did triage on the kitten in the twitten, who seemed perky enough then began sneezing heavily again during the afternoon, so I made an appointment with the vet first thing tomorrow.

I was busy tidying up in preparation for a dinner party this evening, and suddenly small pieces of soot and debris started falling down the chimney into my fireplace. My first reaction was that it was some kind of earth tremor (which you get these all the time in Brighton). About 15 seconds later Calliope dropped out of it, which gave me quite a turn. It then bounded sootily onto my beige rug. I remonstrated with her, only for her to do it again shortly after. I barricaded the front of fireplace but she makes sporadic attempts to batter her way through these.

I lacked focus today, but managed to squeeze in four or five hours writing, and a much needed haircut. I still miss Nicky in Chiswick. It was like visiting a friend who happened to cut your hair well too. The guys I go to now are reasonably priced, but their conversation puts you in a coma.

Had a lovely evening with Janet, Ken and Lorraine. Sat about happily chatting and drinking wine while the kitten gambolled about over everyone. Usual great conversation with Janet and Ken, and Ken talking to Lorraine about his early years, which I think he should write about - his father was born in the 19th century, and his mother died when he was five.


Seeing as it was a dinner party I had set aside my self-imposed diet and randomly made a fisherman's pie, as I'd never done this before. And it was fairly easy: poached the smoked haddock in milk. Took the haddock out and flaked it, then used the poaching milk as the basis of a white sauce to stir in prawns, haddock flakes, lemon juice and lots of parsley. Spooned this over a layer of wilted spinach. Then topped with a cheesy mashed potatoes, and baked for half an hour. It was a triumph, served with carrots and mange tout, and only my natural modesty prevented me from parading about insufferably.

Comments