One Planet, two beers

Up early and preparing to interview Pooran Desai of One Planet Living. He is a sustainability pioneer, I'd met him once before, at a meal instigated by the Cat in the Hat. There is a new housing development on the other side of the station called One Brighton, which has been built to One Planet guidelines, and is the UK's (and possibly the world's) most sustainable residential development. It is zero carbon, and has a host of features that make it utterly spiffy, even the concrete it is made with is the greenest concrete available, made with recycled aggregate.

I met Pooran at the marketing suite, and he quickly showed me around the show appartment, then popped around the corner so I could interview him in a quiet cafe. Tremendously nice man. And very positive too, saying Martin Luther King didn't say "I have a nightmare", but "I have a dream". Among lots of other stuff, I cheekily asked him about his OBE, and laughing he said it had pleased his mother.

Fascinating stuff. I then sloped home briefly to attend the opening, where the Deputy Mayor Carol Theobald cut the pink ribbon to officially open the show apartment. Some light schmoozing after, in which I learnt that the dining chairs in the show appartment were partly made from recycled computer games consoles.

Sloped off after to the same cafe to chat to Simon, who I'd me there, for half an hour or so. We were both really excited by One Brighton. We agreed to start nailing down various projects we have been talking about, and I'm going around to his place on Monday evening to get going.

Then off home to write up a few notes, and go for a short swym, where they still hadn't mended the showers. Had felt leaden and twitchy today, but the swim brightened me up a bit. In the evening Lorraine came around, exuding calmness and cheer, and we went out for a curry. I had my weekly beer intake: two beers. I had low fat tandoori chicken and some rice and vegetables. We were given free poppadoms in the Agra too, to as its owner, Ash, said, we were VIP customers, which made me smile.

Have managed to lose two kilos in the last couple of weeks, and trousers sitting better, which is nice. Soon I shall be lithe as a young grass snake. What is pleasing is that I didn't feel like falling on the beers like I'd been in a desert either.

Home to watch Stevie Wonder singing on the Jonathan Ross show. Amazing stuff.

Below Inside the One Planet showroom... So highly designed that the only books on show were colour coordinated with the rest of the design, the view onto the little balcony, and the achitectural model with some attendees of the opening.














Comments