Lawnmower man

Lorraine and I up late, and after breakfast I sent off the MS of my collaboration with Palo, and Lorraine played piano. Then we dragged off the broken lawn mower to the repair cafe in Seaford. We saw Kate there who was volunteering and altering clothing. There was a bit of a queue and after we had been given a job ticket, we had two cups of tea. Plenty of folks eating there.

It was then I noticed a man peering at our lawnmower. Not one of the repairers but a someone with a passion for engines. He seemed positively sad that it was broken when being so new, and told us how the lawn mower should be fixed. When the fixer came over,  our new friend offered to advise him. I was then treated to 40 minutes of his life and times with engines, and how he was excellent at fixing them, then a deep dive into the subject of garage engineers and what rogues they were, complete with half a dozen examples of how he had outsmarted roguish garage mechanics with his superior knowledge. Unbelievably, Lorraine wandered off, leaving me alone to hear a lively account tyre dissociation when he crashed a car in Alaska, landing on his tyres after being airborne, and the layers of the tyre had separated making driving almost impossible after rescuers came to drag him and his girlfriend out of the ditch. 

Luckily our lawnmower had been repaired, despite the repairer not following our friend's instructions, and I could escape. 

Home and Lorraine and I painted a coat of olive paint on the bathroom, and leaving it for tomorrow to make good, while we listened to The Good Friends of Jonathan Elias, a strange podcast I enjoy listening to from time to time, discussing The Shadow out of Innsmouth by H.P. Lovecraft. I started reading it again before I dropped to sleep. Lorraine and I are listening to Max Richter's album Sleep, when we go to sleep. It works magically. I saw a documentary about him, doing a concert with people invited to fall asleep on beds. 

Watched a movie at home tonight, and then a football match where non-league minnows Maidstone triumphed against Ipswich in the FA Cup. 


 

Comments