A great evening for me at the Needlewriters

No work. Bliss. Up and breakfast with Lorraine, and she went off to walk and talk with Penny and other ex-headteacher friends I spent a happy couple of hours finalising my reading for tonight's Needlewriters. (Success happens when preparation meets opportunity, I reminded myself). A lunchtime walk, and the luxury of a nap this afternoon. Quite nervous, and bleating nervously to Lorraine once or twice. Pleased Robin and I were reading together which somehow made it feel better. 

I'd not seen the rooms upstairs at the John Harvey Tavern so crowded. I counted about 45 people. All my favourite poet friends there, SJB, Charlotte, Janet, Stephen Bone, Antony Mair and Jeremy. Plus there was a delegation from Seaford, Adele, Patrick, Andrew and Kate. Then, greatly to my surprise, old Warwick University pals, Will Leith and Callum Murray appeared, who I first met when I was 19, and then sat in the front row. As I was being introduced by James Ellis, who did a great job all night, I something about having these people from such different stages of my life made it feel briefly like a dream.

I was up first, and the reading could hardly have gone better.  I'd thrown together a bunch of poems around the theme of time and timelessness, which seemed perfect for how I was feeling.  Opened with one from 40 years ago, The Next Wish.  As soon as I started, my twitchiness abated. I'd thought quite hard into my between poem banter, and wanted the whole thing to hang together. It was only 20 minutes, but people really listening hard, you can always tell,  and the applause very warm at the end of my slot. 

I was followed by Imogen, who read a short story about a Kelpie that was enjoyed. After a break, where I sat with Callum and Will downstairs for a bit. Back to hear Robin deliver an excellent reading, with some fine new poems from her forthcoming collection. Felt like the Planet Poetry posse had acquitted themselves better than could be expected. Celia rounded the evening off with a prose that was quite autobiographical, and detailed, and was probably not the best choice for a reading but an interesting project.  All in all an excellent evening. Lurked about shamelessly soaking up compliments and having a couple of drinks afterwards. Great to be sat on a table with Lorraine, Robin, Charlotte, SJB, Stephen, Will, Callum, Adele, Patrick, Kate, Andrew. An unlikely mix but really entertaining for me. 

Eventually sloped off to Lewes station, with the Seaford contingent and Robin. A cheery ride home. My Seaford friends had enjoyed themselves, and they and others, particularly Charlotte and Sarah, had been so complimentary to me that I felt very happy, relieved and encouraged. And also a bit richer as there was an envelope with some cash in it for takings from the door. Nice. 




Comments