Art with Mum

Pouring again just before dawn, and storm-dodging down to Preston Park station to catch a train at ten and up to London to meet Mum. I was early at Sloane Square station, so I mooched down Kings Road to the Waterstones bookshop. A slightly askance response from the manageress, as if Horror were a bad thing. Back to Sloane Square and met mum and then hopped onto a curtesy bus and went across the river to the Affordable Art Fair. Very busy. Lots of lovely work there but it tends towards the decorative,  although there were a few bits that took my fancy. Pleased to see Maria Rivans work doing well there, especially as I type this looking at my Maria Rivans original.

Stopped off midway at an island and bought a fizz and gin cocktail of some sort, and we chatted, and then Mum chatted to the young kissing couple opposite. Then more art. We paused before a useless abstract and were looking at it in disbelief when one of the exhibitors came over and said 'It's beautiful, isn't it?' To which, emboldened by my my cocktail, I said, 'no it's absolutely terrible', which it was. It's good to take instant dislikes to things. It saves time.

I found a few things I really liked however. Magical scenes by Terry Rushworth, strangely horror inflected ones by Ray Caesar, and funny, surrealism inflected paintings by Joaquín Lalanne.

Back in the curtesy bus to Sloane Square, and Mum and I had a quick drink in the bar of the Royal Court Theatre before hopping on the train. I Like the Royal Court. My school, Copland High School had some kind of a relationship with the Royal Court and we were down there a lot.

Train home to Brighton, Anton on the train behind and we had a cheeky beer in the Battle of Trafalgar before he went home, and I picked up some food for Lorraine and I at Red Chillies. The weekend awaits.

This made me laugh at the Affordable art fair, by Joaquín Lalanne. And mum and I found these in a shop window off Sloane Squah.



Comments