60 not out

A truly excellent birthday today. Tea and breakfast in bed, and a slow start. Many birthday messages coming to me from lots of folks, including Tobs and Mum. At no point did I feel like screaming sixty! at myself repeatedly in a mirror. It is, like all these so called big birthdays, much better to be it than be on the cusp of it. Maureen sent me a huge and slightly tormenting badge with 60 on it and phoned to wish me a happy birthday.

It was however raining steadily all day, so Lorraine had planned a short walk in the country but we biffed that, and went onto phase two, which was afternoon tea at the elegant (if David Lynch sounding) South Lodge, which was like a tasting menu of lovely but bad things, gorgeous little sandwiches and patisserie and scones and all the tea you could drink. It was lovely stuff and a hold onto your hat sugar rush.

A short regroup at home, and then Dawn came to collect Beth, Lorraine and I off to the Bottom's Rest for thali dishes and several beers. We four were joined by Anton, Rosie and Innis, Hus and Kata, Ben Conti and Richard Gibson. Just an exceedingly cheery night, with everyone mixing nicely. Beth had secreted a cake with her too, which was surprise, and there was a round of happy birthday sung. Good to catch up with Hus and Kata, who downloaded a copy of Magnificent Grace on the spot, and talk to Hus about philosophy, and Ben about glass being a membrane of magic, and to Richard about many and various bits. A bit weird for Beth having a social occasion and being newly single again, but she enjoyed herself too, which I was very pleased about. Lovely cards and a gorgeous book from Dawn, and a bottle of good Italian wine from Hus.

Eventually, the last cups being drained, Lorraine, Beth and I grabbed a cab home. My top hat somewhat askew after a lovely day.

Below... Being sixty is a piece of cake. Beth took these candid photos on my phone of Lorraine and I in The Bottom's Rest just chatting for a moment. I really like them. Lorraine did everything she could to make sure my birthday was a lovely one.






Comments