A fresh start and a wake

Felt inspired and optimistic this morning, after my recent conversations. I began with the idea of reinventing what I am doing business wise, and had many ideas. Felt good and suddenly as if I were on the front foot again -- had lots of ideas and spent the morning hammering them down.

Down to Preston Park this morning and off to Hassocks, a wretched delay meant I had to hurry from Hassocks station to arrive at Clayton Woods natural burial site, where Janet and Ken's ashes were going to be laid side by side. I met Madeline, Hus, Reem, May, Bren, Sonia and Ray there. Rod and Clare, Caroline, Nick and Sandie and a few other grandchildren and grand nieces. We had squelched our way to the small square grave, when it was clear Anne Lamacraft had been very much delayed, so it being a very informal affair, Madeline and I zoomed off in Madeline's car to collect her. Not seen Anne for many years.

The ceremony was self conducted, but quite pleasant, those who wanted put earth on the shoebox sized containers in the grave, and when it had been filled in, Madeline spread it with leaves she and Janet had collected from Sheffield Park, and some flowers were put on. A deal of hugging and chatting then, and the Goodwins drove off to visit the grave of Ken's daughter Rachael in Bognor Regis.

I hopped into Hus's van with Bren and we drove off to The Station bar in Hove, where May and Reem were, and Sonia and Ray joined us for an impromptu wake. Long chats and a fair degree of drinking in there before it was time to go home. I was a bitter ender, hanging on with Ray and Sonia till the end. It was very therapeutic to talk about my friends with other friends.

I caught a train to Brighton and walked from there. Dawn around for dinner tonight with Lorraine and Beth.  I spent the evening drinking mineral water chatting and eating some good snap, especially a pie Dawn had brought round.

For some reason a photo was requested of people by the grave to send round, here is one culled from May's facebook page.





Comments