Church, river but no boons

Steve hugely brighter today, which was a relief to us all. Brad after a slow start was soon working too. Everyone pleased to see this, and Passiri clearly mightily relieved. I felt weak at the knees sometimes which I put down to an excess of sunlight and the sheer heat. Gulping as much water as possible. Not feeling like eating too much either.

Today was Sunday, so as planned we went to Church, where Steve was heroically able to give the sermon. This theme, rather excellently, was all about water and gardens, and he talking about Peter testing his faith by walking out onto the water next to Jesus, which spoke to me somewhat. Best of all was the singing of the Chadian choir, of which there were two. The congregation as a whole joining in and singing too, and jumping to their feet and dancing joyfully. Oum Hadjer a predominantly Muslim area, and most of the congregation were from the south. They looked well fed and were all nicely dressed in Sunday best.

I felt a bit unsteady on my feet when we had to stand during the service, but seemed to perk up afterwards. We had all, as guests, been specially prayed for and we shook hands with absolutely everyone. Passiri telling me to make sure I washed my hands afterwards, and filmed an interview with the Pastor and the Animateur who was a man we'd seen around the compound quietly going about his business. Turns out he is the guy who goes into the villages and coordinates lots of the help that is needed from the charity. Interesting to talk to them, The Pastor quiet and almost evasive though.

A welcome rest in the middle of the day, then in the afternoon we set off to film the river near the village. This should have been at full flow at what was in theory the end of the rainy season. We found it a shallow stream that covered less than a third of the river bed. When we arrived people were digging holes into the dry earth of the river bed and collecting water at the bottom of them, presumably because the gravel operates as a natural filter and the water is clearer.

There had been sightings of baboons along the river, but sadly there were none when we arrived. Where are the boons? Matt demanded when we arrived.

We used the drone here too, zooming along the river bed. Matt and Steve zooming about with it. I noticed goat herds on the other side of the river, afraid to cross. The irritated man herding the goats waving a machete too so we let them across. I was feeling uncountably irritable and dispirited by the end of the day, rummaging in my bag for my malaria pills I found my door key, and it made me feel suddenly very far from home indeed.

To bed.

A few snaps in Church; members of the 'indigenous' choir, ladies singing and dancing, Serge talking at the lectern, and snaps down by the river.












Comments