To Guernsey

Up early and packing for Guernsey. Hadn't had much time to think about it till yesterday. Lorraine starting a cold, and I find myself somewhat sniffly too. Quick chat with the neighbours as we left who said that Guernsey was posh. An easy train ride to Gatwick where we met Mum. A shopping spree in Gatwick. Lorraine buying face creams that literally cost thousands of pounds, and also some his and her headphones. A fairly incident free flight, though a bit bumpy for my taste. The journey is so short you never get up very high before you start descending again.

A wait at Guernsey airport for half an hour for a cab, which had me grinding my teeth a bit. Big queue of people, but this being a Saturday lunchtime, the local cabbies are at home eating their lunch. Finally made it to La Barbarie where we had a quick sandwich and a pint of beer.

Then off to Icart Point. Sat on the famous engagement bench, and wandered about in the soft light of a cloudy day. Beautiful as ever, with patches of light falling gorgeously on the grey sea.

Wandered back to La Barbarie, and Lorraine needed a lie down so mum and I wandered up to the co-op to get some breakfast for tomorrow, and chatted and walking down the little lanes, including the famous (in our family at any rate) Screaming Lane. Back to La Barbarie for an early supper of pork belly and then, back to the room, where both I and Lorraine were feeling quite flaked out. A much needed early night.

Below Lorraine and me with my eyes closed in the magical arch on Icart Road, Mum, Lorraine, a few other snaps, and a collapsing glasshouse.










Comments