Setting off for Chad

A raining and dismal Monday but I had reasonable night's sleep. Lorraine brought me a cup of tea and I got up despite the bed's powerful magnetic qualities.

So now, I am almost ready for the off. Backpack packed with a mosquito net, wetwipes, hand gel, pills of all types, plasters, socks and my special African wardrobe of 'technical' clothes, zippy trousers and shirts with anti mosquito and anti UV properties, and my trusty Tilly hat bought in Canada. Hand held bag with camera, essential meds and laptop, visa, passports, tickets etc. Mum suggested I take bicycle clips too, to keep adventurous local critters from nosing up into the Kenny trousers. When I was talking to Mum about the bicycle clips idea yesterday something was itching my leg, and when I scratched it, I found there was something squidgy in my trousers, which revealed itself as a large caterpillar. Mum may have a point.

Naturally my deep love of flying means that the next 24 hours are unlikely to feature among my all-time personal favourites. I just want to get on with it now, I chatted with Matty this morning, and am very pleased to have an old friend on the trip. I have a replenished supply of diazepams for the flight to aid sleep and relaxation.

It may be possible for me to update this blog from Chad. If I can, I will. Otherwise I shall be returning back to Blighty first thing in the morning of the 16th, where Lorraine has arranged to come and get me from Heathrow. Very hard to say goodbye to Lorraine just now. It will be the longest we have been apart since we met. She gave me a little pebble heart that I found in Guernsey and gave to her once. I shall be touching it a lot I think.

Comments